Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Books Importance in Our Life

Hi Friends(Blog Readers),

Before I start my post, I hearty thankful to +Valibhai Musa (For Me, He is Valikaka) to share his knowledge, life-time experience regarding books with all of us. I hope, in future I can learn more and more from his support, which I will share here sure because "The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and mystery. There is always more mystery." 

On the occasion of ‘World Books Day’ on 23rd April, 2014;  Mr. Paavan K. Jethava ( +Paavan Jethava) of Ahmedabad who is a very enthusiastic young man for collecting opinions on various subjects sent me an e-mail with questionnaire as follows. I have great pleasure to answer them one by one.

(1) IMPORTANCE OF BOOKS IN OUR LIFE:

I would like to suggest my Article ‘Life and Literature’ to be read on my Blog “William’s Tales” along with its Gujarati version to get detailed information in this regard. 

(2) EXPERIENCE IN WHICH THE IMPORTANCE OF ANY BOOK MIGHT HAVE PLAYED ANY ROLE:

When I had passed my 8th Grade with best performance in 1956, my elder brother asked me to demand anything I might like as the gift; and I had requested him to buy for me the full set of the novel ‘Sarswatichandra’. He had accepted my request with a counter question why I had put my choice like that before him. I had simply answered that the novel is the great piece of Gujarati Literature as my Gujarati teacher had told to the classroom when one chapter of that novel was being taught by him. The second part of the novel with its sub-title ‘Gunsundari-no-Gharsansar’ appealing to’ United  Family Life’ proved to be useful to me throughout my life. In the very next year of 1957, our father had died leaving behind my five younger brothers and sisters with age variation from to 2 to 12 under we-two brothers’ care. At that time my eldest brother was1 18 years old and I was only 16. The second part of the novel helped me indirectly to lead our united family of the same generation then and presently also my own family consisted of 15 members with my third generation under the same united pattern.    

(3) BOOKS READ AND ANY FAVORITE OUT OF THEM:       
    
I had read a lot of books in English, Gujarati and Hindi up to my age of 40. Thereafter, a gap of some three decades remained due to my overtime involvement in our businesses. During these days, I could read only news papers and magazines randomly. My favorite books, besides ‘Sarswatichandra’ are ‘Gramlaxmi’, ‘Bharelo Agni’, ‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin’, ‘Kalapi-no-Kekarav’, ‘Abraham Lincoln (A Play)’, ‘Ame Badha’, ‘Bhadrambhadra’ etc.. The list may go long, but I precise it here.

(4) ANY MESSAGE TO NEXT GUJARATI GENERATION:   
     
Libraries are the Watering Places of Knowledge. Books teach us ethics and values of human life. The next generation is advised to read more and more books available both in Print and Internet media.  The parents should include books to birthday presents to their children. Hobby of Reading does not only entertain us, but it teaches also the useful lessons of life. Solution of disturbed social life of human being throughout the world now-a-days is only with the libraries. Good and positive literature has such power that can change the world. If the next generation develops the hobby of reading books, it can pass on the same hobby  to their own next generation. It is just like the process of lighting the candles with a single burning candle. There is a well known Gujarati saying also as ‘કૂવામાં હશે તો હવાડામાં આવશે.’ i.e.’ If there is water in the well, it will reach the trough.’

Hope the endeavor of Mr. Paavan Jethava will surely be fruitful and helpful to the next Gujarati generation just to create interest in reading good literature.

With warm regards,

- Valibhai Musa ( +Valibhai Musa )

No comments:

Post a Comment